Sunday, December 5, 2010

DIY: Yarn Wreath

I got this from a friends blog, and I have to put it on mine to share and remember to make this!





Here's what you need:
{all supplies were found at a craft store, Wal-Mart, and Target}
Wire Wreath Form {I used a 18in. form}
Ornaments
Yarn
Glue Gun
Styrofoam Balls
To make the yarn balls:
I used a variety of sizes of styrofoam balls.
The sizes I used are: 2 1/2 inch, 2 inch, 1 1/2 inch
Wrap the yarn around the styrofoam ball in various and alternating directions {just like making a real yarn ball} until all of the white sytrofoam is covered. When you're finished just tuck the end
of the sting underneath the yarn to secure it.
Making the wreath:
There are a couple of ways to do this.. you can evenly space out your large yarn ba
lls onto your wreath form and glue them one at a time. And then you can glue your smaller yarn balls and ornaments around your large yarn balls. I have done this on a few of my wreaths.
 
Or you can build the wreath one section at a time building upon each section as you go. I found that this leaves less 'wholes' and hides the wreath wire form from view. This method works better for me and I like the way it looks. I added the larger yarn balls and ornaments around the bas
e of the wreath form and then I filled the 'holes' with smaller yarn balls and smaller ornaments. Securing each by gluing them to one another and to the wreath form. While gluing the pieces together you'll want to hold them for 15-20 seconds to make sure they are secure before moving on. I also made sure that I alternated the colors.
I found that holding the wreath upright or hanging it on my door let me have a
good look at it and find the places where I needed extra pieces added.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment