Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Story to Remember

Okay, so yes I have graduated except I had to take 3 GE classes this summer in order to finalize it. I took Philosophy, Anthropology, and Geography. All of which had tons of writing and reading... I took it through BYU Independent Study which is online so that I didn't have to stay in Utah and be away even longer from Aaron. If you have taken an online class you know that usually you have 1 year to complete it, and it takes discipline to actually sit down and actually do the class. Well because of graduation and other reasons my deadline for all of these class is August 11, 2011 (tomorrow). I had managed in 3-4 weeks to finish the all the work that needed to be submitted and the midterms for all the classes. I ordered my last 2 finals last Monday, expecting them to get here around Friday and then mail it back that day. Well Friday came around and the proctor had only gotten one of my finals. So I figured okay I'll wait tell Monday and see if the other final comes and then I'll just express it back to BYU.

Well now it's Monday and I'm calling the proctor and she explains that the test still had not arrived. I go to the testing center anyway and take the final that had come on Friday, hoping that while I was there my other final might have come in the mail or something, but after I got done there still wasn't a second final. So I call BYU, I explain that my test still hasn't arrived and my deadline is Thursday. She had two options for me 1. I wait and hope the final comes or 2. I pay a $15 cancellation fee for the test they sent out (which if it showed up that day, I would no longer be able to take), a $30 fee for them to express it to me there and back, and then a $20 fee just to take the test. 

So it's Monday and I have no idea what to do and I decide that I'm just going to wait and hope that it either comes Monday afternoon, which the lady said it didn't, or that it would come in the morning on Tuesday. The proctor was very nice, but she must have been annoyed with me calling through out the day asking for my test. I kept asking are you sure it's not in the mail warehouse or something? and every time she would assure me that the mail guys were very good at delivering tests as soon as they came in. 

Well now it's Tuesday, I call the proctor in the morning and there is still no test. I call BYU and the girl tells me I have tell 12pm to call and reorder the test so that it could be shipped out by 1pm, hopefully get there Wednesday take the final and then ship it back Wednesday hoping it gets there Thursday. Well, I'm still in shock that it would take more than a week for the test to get to the proctor and I really really don't want to pay all those fees. So it's 10:15am California time, making it 11:15am Utah time. I decide to drive over to the testing center, I talk to the proctor which she is shocked to see me and I ask her is it here yet? She calls the mail warehouse no answer... I was like okay where is the warehouse? She was like uhhh it's over in this area of campus but I don't know the exact room address and then she persisted to tell me that these mail guys were really good and that she had complete faith in them that they would bring it over if it was there. Well, I don't know the mail guys and I'm not sure I trust them. It's now 10:45am and I'm running around 9 months pregnant trying to find the mail warehouse, I find it... there's nobody there at first and then I see someone. I explain to him I'm looking for a test and he says fed ex just dropped one off and someone is dropping off the test right now. Well, than I remember mine didn't come fed ex so that couldn't be it I said to him. I said it was shipped last Monday... and he gasps and says oo then it's here somewhere it would never take that long to get here. We start looking and he goes over to one bin and says well I don't think it's in here because this was yesterdays and BINGO! he pulls out 10 envelopes and 2 of them are from BYU. So he's like are you going over to the testing center now, and I say yes and we take over all the envelopes. I give them to my proctor and she's in shock and disbelief that the mail warehouse failed her... She opens the first and it's not mine, and then she opens the second and it's my final! 

I am so happy it's my final, I don't even care how ridiculous this whole thing was. The fact that I had to go running around their campus to find the warehouse and then look for it! I was just hoping that my water wasn't going to break, and although it would have made the story better it didn't! 

There's always something to learn, but ultimately you can't trust others with your fate/deadline, sometimes you're going to have to do it all yourself to make what you want happen and you're gonna have to work for it! 


1 comment:

  1. You are a girl after my own heart! Love that story...love you ;)

    ReplyDelete